Baptism – Lesson Three
- Today’s lesson covers – The Power of Baptism
- Read pages 297-301 in Luther’s Small Catechism
- Watch the video below
- Homework – “Baptized into Christ” Tell us how each of the following words take on a whole new meaning when connected with our Baptism in Christ. temptation, sin, fear, hope, prayer, worship, Law, death hardship, conflict, love – (email response here):
- Watch “Hebrews” Video – respond with 3 sentences on form at the bottom of the 2020-21 schedule page.
- SAVE THE DATE– Next Zoom Class on Sunday, February 21 @ 3PM
- Complete a “Worship Note” (in person or online) … 40 due by Rite of Confirmation
The Power of Baptism
How can water do such great things?
Certainly not just water, but the word of God in and with the water does these things, along with the faith which trusts this word of God in the water. For without God’s word the water is plain water and no Baptism. But with the word of God it is a Baptism, that is, a life-giving water, rich in grace, and a washing of the new birth in the Holy Spirit, as St Paul says in Titus, chapter three:
“He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by His grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life. This is a trustworthy saying.”